I am trained and experienced in ecological surveying and identification of a wide range of terrestrial taxa, but with particular interests in plants, pollinators, bats, dormice, badgers, hedgehogs and reptiles.
• Mitigation, translocation and ecological clerk of works/demolition watching briefs.
• Research, report writing and project management.
• I teach plant identification as a freelance tutor.
• Experienced in running talks, walks, workshops, education sessions and habitat creation projects on ecology and conservation topics, with school, community groups and volunteers.
• More than 10 years experience conducting bat surveys, inspections and report writing across England and Wales. • Work with badger conservation and mitigation on large scale redevelopment sites. • Currently working on a large-scale dormouse research project across Somerset & North Somerset.
• Many years experience doing reptile surveys and also associated outreach work. For example I was the field ecologist on Bristol Community Housing Foundation's award-winning redevelopment project during which I translocated thousands of reptiles from a 40-acre housing estate in Horfield. I also helped deliver reptile conservation outreach in partnership with residents on the estate and local school. • Example of academic projects: I carried out extensive vegetation and invertebrate survey work on arable farms across the UK for the SAFFIE Project at the Centre for Agri-Environmental Research, University of Reading: https://cereals.ahdb.org.uk/media/375965/pr416_saffie1_full_report.pdf
• Vegetation, habitat and landscape character assessments across large areas of Kent:
www.ashford.gov.uk/landscape-character-study • I have delivered and/or helped lead education sessions on botany, ecology, pollinators, reptiles, bats, hedgehogs and conservation for Avon Wildlife Trust, Buglife, Butterfly Conservation, National Trust, Bristol Museum, Bristol Natural History Consortium and Victoria Park Action Group and various Bristol primary schools. • I have run activities and coordinated volunteers for a hedgehog conservation and mapping project in Bristol with Avon Wildlife Trust, South Bristol Voice, Hedgehog Rescue and Hedgehog Street. As part of that I also help rehabilitate rescued hedgehogs.